School Council - 2016/2017
What is a school council?
A school council is group of students who are elected to represent the views of all pupils and to improve their school.
"School council" means all kinds of school-based groups run by students, including student forums and youth parliaments.
What jobs are there?
Each year, every class will normally elect 2 representatives to be members of the school council.
The council will then meet to elect officers such as:
In a larger school (more than 400 pupils) there may be separate year councils, with a large meeting of the whole school council once a term.
What makes a good one?
A good school council is one that represents the views of all students and gets things done.
Many schools have councils, but they are not all successful. These are some things that make a council effective:
- Regular meetings
- A council that is not too big
- Class/Form councils that meet regularly
- Good communication between representatives and their class
- Training for school council members
- Smaller groups (sub committees) working on specific events or issues
- A bank account or budget (however small)
- Annual evaluations
Do they get anything done?
Many school councils just talk.
Good school councils do get things done, so far this year our School Council have:-
- Arranged Lunchtime Colour Code cards for KS2 to let each class know when it is time for their dinner.
- Organised the Christmas shoe box appeal for children in a school in the Philippines.
- Helped at the PTA Christmas Fair.
- Designed and costed out for their Big Project - a development in the Japa play area. Now they have to work to raise some of the money for this. For 2015 this was our new Trim Trail.
- Completed a litter pick around the school grounds.
- Organised a Sponsored Walk to raise money to go toward extending the Summers Walk.
- Renaming House Points teams
- Organising a memorial event for Mr Summers
- Visiting other Aspire schools
Our School Council - 2016/2017
During the Head Boy/Girl interviews the children were asked: What can you tell us about what school feels like to you. Below are some of the replies.
I have loads of friends and it's easy to make friends here - George
It's just nice to be in this school - Olivia
I really enjoy coming to school -Eleanor
I love school and I enjoy my lessons - Erin
I really love Churwell school - it's so colourful and friendly - Keira
The teachers are nice - Callum
I really like this school and if I could I would never move away - Poppy
The teachers push me on as hard as I can - Issabel
It's very welcoming and it feels like you are at home - Mahek
It's a nice school, everybody is kind and helpful - Molly
Our Year Five School Council -
Our Year Four School Council -
Our Year Three School Council
Representatives on the Morley Cluster Schools Council - Aimee and Lucas
The School Council - Sponsored Walk
A litter pick of the school grounds.