School Council - 2020/2021
This year so far the School Council has:
*Organised a Pumkpin Trail
*Discussed this year's Big Project - and are developing this further
*Organised the Festive Fun Christmas event
Recorded and shared some assemblies for children across the school on themes such as Peace, Remembrance and Christmas.
The children will also be having their meetings via Zoom this half term!
What is a school council?
A school council is group of students who are elected to represent the views of all pupils and to improve their school.
"School council" means all kinds of school-based groups run by students, including student forums and youth parliaments.
What jobs are there?
Each year, every class will elect 2 representatives to be members of the school council. The representatives have to complete an application form. This is read out to the class by the Teacher and then the children vote for the person they think will od the best job. The children do not know who wrote the application form so they are voting for the best ideas anf thoughts!
The council will then meet to elect officers such as:
What makes a good one?
A good school council is one that represents the views of all students and gets things done.
Many schools have councils, but they are not all successful. These are some things that make a council effective:
- Regular meetings
- A council that is not too big
- Class/Form councils that meet regularly
- Good communication between representatives and their class
- Training for school council members
- Smaller groups (sub committees) working on specific events or issues
- Annual reflection about their work
Do they get anything done?
Many school councils just talk.
Good school councils do get things done, some of the things that the School Council have completed:-
- Arranged Lunchtime Colour Code cards for KS2 to let each class know when it is time for their dinner.
- Designed and costed out for their Big Project - a development in the Japa play area. Now they have to work to raise some of the money for this.
- Completed a litter pick around the school grounds.
- Organised a Sponsored Walk to raise money to go toward extending the Summers Walk.
- Renaming House Points teams
- Organising a memorial event for Mr Summers
- Organising the Christmas and Summer Fair
- Organising the Forget-me-not charity run
- Ordered equpment for lunchtimes
- Organised the school Autumn disco