Our curriculum supports our whole school vision of:'Learn, Aspire, Achieve'.
We achieve our vision through:
- Clear curriculum intent
- Curriculum content
- Our values curriculum
- Growth Mindset focus
- Mindfulness curriculum
- High expectations
- Ethos and environment
- High quality provision
Our vision is supported by our curriculum
Our curriculum intent is based upon our endeavour to build aspiration, experience and community within and beyond Churwell Primary School.
We strive, through our curriculum, to build a sense of community so that children at Churwell have a strong sense of where they belong in the world.
Our curriculum supports children:
- To learn about real things that matter; to develop curiosity and ask questions about the world, current affairs and our local and wider community
- To learn from experts who inspire us, for example: artists, musicians, writers, mathematicians and scientists
- To be involved in choosing what they learn – what interests and inspires them
- To understand how we learn, and to know that learning isn’t always easy through developing a Growth Mindset
- To support children to develop positive wellbeing and strong mental health through Mindfulness
- To have opportunities to learn how to research using a wide range of resources
- To learn with our parents, other adults and the wider community
Our Curriculum Intent
We plan and teach from The National Curriculum. We have planned a curriculum that we believe:
Meets the needs of our children through our keen awareness of the experiences that our children need to build and develop in order to become confident well-rounded learners and citizens.
Delivers the best outcomes for all our children, regardless of their starting points.
Delivers objectives which support PSHCE and SMEH agenda as well as the statutory requirements within the National Curriculum.
Is clearly sequenced and enables children to progress in their acquisition of skills and knowledge throughout their journey at Churwell.
Provides time and opportunity for deep learning to take place. Children can embed, recall and apply their learning and skills across a range of subjects and activities.
Our children learn through:
- First-hand experiences
- A live theatre experience each year
- Trips and visits in their local and wider environment
- The opportunity to attend two residentials, one in Year 5 and one in Year 6
- Through strong use of non-fiction texts to support all learning in the curriculum
- Taking part in a yearly whole school STEAM project
- Access to a weekly PE Coach session
- Active Learning sessions that link movement and learning across the curriculum
- Focus assemblies and initiatives that build their cultural captial
- A dedicated space to develop Food Technolgy skills
- Taking part in 'The Big' draw each year alongside a local artist
- Opportunity to 'take over' a role in school each year
- An opportunity to develop a sense the furutre through an annual 'World of Work' Day
Our arc curriculum underpins the core curriculum that we teach. This develops:
- Growth mindset
- Leadership Skills - through our Buddy System in school
- Forest Schools
- British Values
- Our Values curriculum
- Cultural Capital
An overview of what we offer at Churwell and the key areas that are specific to our school.
All out staff believe that: 'Every child needs a champion'.